HOW TO APPLY: E-MAIL CV TO email@example.com
before 5pm on Monday 23 October 2023.
Job Title ; General Clerical Officer
Salary; starting at £18,000/per annum
Term; 3 year contract (with a 6 month probationary period)
Location; 11 Main Street, Maghera (primarily).
Hours of Work; 30 hrs per week.
Responsibility for; Assisting with the planning and delivery of Acting Ageing events & activities.
Responsible to; The Board of Management
How to Apply;
By emailing CV to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5pm on Monday 23rd October 2023. Late emails submissions will not be considered
Reports to: Active Aging Project Officer / Directors of MHS Board
Context of the role;
MHS Heritage & Culture Society is a charity dedicated to preserving the heritage and culture of Maghera and districts. We have a particular emphasis on senior user inclusion in our work.
We aspire to a society where all older people are treated with respect and have opportunities to live fulfilled lives.
Our centre supports older people through a variety of activities ranging from educational and social events to excursions. We believe that no older person should be lonely or isolated and should have opportunities to engage with their community.
General Admin./ Clerical Officer (based in our premises in 11 Main St, Maghera)
A successful Clerical Officer will act as the point of contact for all stakeholders and volunteers, providing administrative support and managing queries.
- As a clerical officer, to support the day-to-day operational effectiveness, aims and objectives of the charity and work productively with the Active Aging Project Officer
- The main duties include: managing office stock, preparing regular reports (e.g. expenses and office budgets) and organising the charity’s records.
- The clerical officer will have a working knowledge of office equipment and office management tools and should be able to ensure our administrative activities run smoothly on a daily and long-term basis.
- Conduct the clerical business of the charity as required for the smooth running of the organisation
- Act as the public face of the organisation at the reception area
- Prepare regular reports on expenses and office budgets
- Maintain and update company databases
- Manage office supplies stock and place orders
- Organise a filing system for important and confidential documents
- Manage and direct queries to the charity
- Update office policies as needed
- Maintain a company calendar and schedule appointments
- Book meeting rooms as required
- Distribute and store correspondence (e.g. letters, emails and packages)
- Prepare reports and presentations
- Arrange travel and accommodations when required
- Attend conferences on behalf of the charity
- Schedule in-house and external events
- Prepare and maintain a database of support organisations / individuals who will add to the experiences of centre users
- Support marketing / communication strategies
- Support in a reasonable and practical manner the work of the directors
- Manage social media communications
- Ensure that board decisions, relating to your position, are implemented in a timely manner.
- Manage membership and volunteer records
- Assist with monitoring the programmes/services offered by the charity
- Assist centre users with their personal needs in emergency situations
- Support colleagues off site as part of your working hours
- Survey centre users and collate data
- Attend associated training as and when required
- Report immediately any risks to centre users
- Prepare premises for events and assist with room clearances afterwards
- Undertake any reasonable request which facilitates centre users’ rights and respect.
- Work with the highest degree of integrity valuing the dignity of all our users, visitors, and volunteers.
- Avail of training opportunities when appropriate and applicable for the organisation.
- Make a positive contribution to the harmonious work environment MHS values.
Internal relations: The board of directors, staff, colleagues and volunteers.
External relations: Centre users,relatives, visitors, volunteers and community contacts.
Maghera Heritage and Cultural Society, 11 Main Street, Maghera.
Normal working hours:
Policies and procedures
• To be familiar with and comply with the charity’s constitution, articles of association, policies and procedures.
Supervision and appraisal
- To attend regular supervisions with your line manager and participate in an Annual Appraisal Scheme.
- To assist and support centre users, ensuring the appropriate equipment (e.g. wheelchair / access to lift support) is available and the ambience is conducive to a relaxed environment.
- To undertake any other duties, within your area of competence, as required by the line Manager.
- To act as secretary to the board of management (i.e. minute taking/writing).
- To ensure that board decisions, relating to your position, are implemented in a timely manner.
The duties and requirements in this job description are not exhaustive and amendments and additions may be required in line with future policy changes and/or organisational needs.
• To ensure that all people in the centre at any one time are protected from risk, abuse and neglect and to adhere to the Safeguarding Procedure and, if you witness or suspect abuse, to report it promptly as required by the procedure.
• All staff must respect the confidentiality of any matters they may learn in the course of their duties relating to members, staff and the general public as well as matters of business concerning our Charity.
Essential / Desirable Criteria for Application Purposes*:
|Clerical/Secretarial qualifications or at least two years’ experience working as a clerical officer / secretary
|Experience in working in voluntary sector
|Ability to add to social media posts and marketing initiatives
|Experience in working with groups / charities serving older people
|Proven track record of working effectively as part of a team
 Flexible / family-friendly hours can be negotiated. Occasional work in the evenings or at weekends may be required also.
* to be used for shortlisting purposes